Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
abarakzai

Pricing for freeware/shareware authors

Is there any way to purchase an earlier version of JET. I have been beta testing the 4.5 product, and although I am impressed with the improvements and very disappointed in the 250% price increase in this version (vs 4.1).

Special offer (25% savings) is valid through August 15th

? ? ? ?http://www.excelsior-usa.com/store/specials.html

Is there any way to purchase an earlier version of JET

Yes, it's possible, but you cannot save on it.

although I am impressed with the improvements and very disappointed in the 250% price increase in this version (vs 4.1).

Did you plan to use Excelsior JET for a commercial project?

What Edition did you intend to use?

All Excelsior JET purchases now include 1 year of support and upgrades.

Excelsior JET 4.1 Professional Edition with 1 year of Standard Support and upgrades used to cost $1,680. Version 4.5 costs $2,300. This is less than 37% price increase. Until August 15th, the cost is $1,725 - less than 3% above the list price for 4.1.

Finally, we still offer very special conditions for academic users and are introducing non-commercial use licenses. Give us a few more days to update our online store.

Thank you for your responses. I was planning to use JET Pro to build/deploy some shareware applications I have been working on. Maybe the current pricing would work for large corporations, but for a small one person shop like me (and I am sure there are many others) the $1725 is way too much money to spend out of your pocket.

I wanted to buy JET 4.0 last year when you had your 50% off ?6th Birthday Sale? in October when one could buy the professional edition (win32) for about $450 (off the $900 retail price - 30 day support). I had some problems with my credit card at the time and could not place the order in time.

Anyways, I had been hoping this was a move in the direction of JetBrains where they offer their IDE for a Personal license (for commercial use) for about half what they charge corporations for a Commercial license. However the new pricing structure at Excelsior seems more like Borland when they choose to increase prices of their products to the several thousand $ range and price out the independent software developers.

Like I said in the earlier posting, JET is an excellent product and I wish you guys well with it; however I am disappointed that I won?t be able to use it in my tool chest.

Asim

We understand even $450 is too much for a shareware author. And what we need more than money is help in spreading the word about our product. In fact, we have already extended discounts of up to 100% to a few authors in exchange for the promotion of our tool. If you have good quality products, a decent Web site, established user base and so on, would you consider publishing some links and information about the benefits of using our product for the optimization and packaging of your product?

Or maybe you could write a success story, performance study, or something like that? Take a look at the Case Studies section for samples.