Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jervin

General Setup Help with XDS-x86

I've just recently downloaded and installed XDS-x86 on my Windows Machine.  I did some Modula-2 in College about 20 years ago.  Anyway, I am trying to run some of the tutorial files that I got from http://www.modula2.org/tutor/index.php, when I try to compile the following program.  I get a message saying that it can't find Terminal2.sym.  Now I have Terminal2.def and Terminal2.sym.  Evidently I don't know how to customize the XDS system to find the file or I don't know where I should put library modules like this.  I hate getting stumped on simple things.  Is there a good Tutorial or Help for beginners.  Thanks.  -jfe-

MODULE WriteSm;

FROM Terminal2 IMPORT WriteLn, WriteString;

BEGIN

WriteString("This line will be displayed on the monitor.");

WriteLn;

WriteString('This line will be displayed too.');

WriteLn;

WriteString("This will all be ");

WriteString('on one line.');

WriteLn;

WriteString('She said, "I ');

WriteString("don't ");

WriteString('like dogs."');

WriteLn;

END WriteSm.

When you want to inform XDS compiler about some components placed in non-standard directories you should use lookup directive.

For example in your case you need to inform compiler about terminal2.def and terminal2.mod (not about terminal2.obj and terminal2.sym). You can do this by calling compiler using the following command line:

xc.exe =m WriteSm.mod -lookup=terminal2.mod=C:\Terminal\Mod\ -lookup=terminal2.def=C:\Terminal\Def\

(I assume that you placed terminal2.mod into C:\Terminal\Mod\ and terminal2.def in C:\Terminal\Def\, but you can change this accordingly to your folder layout)

lookup directive also supports some basic pattern matching (e.g. you can easily inform compiler about bunch of mod files with -lookup=*.mod=c:\SomeModDirectory).

for more information please consult XDS Help File. (Bin\xds.hlp)