Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
electricangels

J2EE Application Compilation

Hi,

I am evaluating Excelsior for my company to see if we can compile our application into native.  Our software is running on JBoss AS 4.0.4 as server, which we deploy our application as an EAR which contains a WAR and a numbers of JAR.  We also have a Java client application which connected to our server with RMI, EJB and JMS.  I have downloaded the trial version but really don't have any idea  where should I start to compile the application.  Our main focus is to compile our application code into native to prevent reverse-engineering.  Can anyone kindly give me a hand?

Thanks in advance.  ^_^

Best Regards,

Chua Chee Seng

Product Development Manager

Electric Angels MSC

Auto Industry - LiveMarketing?

You can start with http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetserver.html and follow with http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetxjava.html

Note also, that currently JET protects only classes that loaded by standard Java application classloader, however Java EE servers usually loads web application via server-specific custom classloading. So in the most cases, JET can not protect web-applications.

In spite of the  fact that after compilation to native code original classes are needed only for consistency checks in 99% cases, we can not predit a behavior of a custom classloader so must leave the bytecode in place. In the future versions of JET, we are going to add support for classloaders of well-known products such as JBoss, Eclipse, etc., so there will be a way to protect classes for those products.

Thank you very much for your reply.  ^_^

Though seems not able to protect classes which deployed on Java EE server currently  :-[, but it is good to hear that support for it will be out in the future versions.  :D

May I know the estimated timeline for JET to support application classes protection for JBoss?  We are very interested in protection with AOP compilation.  ;)

Best Regards,

Chua Chee Seng

We are scheduled to research the possibility of such custom classloaders support  within current development period, however the actual support is hardly to be available in the next release. If the research gives a positive result then I think it will be scheduled not earlier than to the middle/end of the next year. However, it is possible to hasten the development on the basis of custom projects, with some sharing of costs.

Thank you very much for the given information.  ;)

The idea to compile our application code into native is in our medium term planning.  I am quite optimistic that you guys can achieve our goal.  Anyway, may I have more details on how the mentioned custom project and cost sharing will work?  I will be happy if we can discuss the further by emailing (chua@electricangels.com). ;)

Best Regards,

Chua Chee Seng

I have emailed the detailed answer to you, but I think posting information about costs and revenues sharing here makes sense.

In general, you may engage us to add any feature to Excelsior JET, from minor enhancement to new platform support. If the result shall be a customized version for your own internal use, we would charge you at the full rate. If the result shall be available to all Excelsior JET customers, we would reduce the rate according to the demand for that feature. Moreover, if the demand is so high that meeting it would generate lots of new sales (think Excelsior JET for Mac OS X ;) ), we would be willing to share the revenues with you.

Hello

I'm definitely sure that supporting J2EE compilation is much more important task than supporting MAC.

It also seems to be much simpler for development =)

I advise you to check JBoss' source code and create classloader stub for it

Maybe, starting from Tomcat support will be easier

I advise you to check JBoss' source code

We did it and found that JBoss' classloading scheme is quite complicated.

Things are simpler in Tomcat, though.