Excelsior Forums
jagan

Native build Netbeans IDE using Excelsior JET

Dear friends

I want to Native build Netbeans IDE using Excelsior JET Ahead-of-time compiler. My intention is to make Netbeans run as fast as Visual Studio on Windows platform. ;D

Now it(the Excelsior compiler Wizard) asks me for the command using which one invokes the IDE. I am aware that Netbeans uses a Native Windows exe launcher. I am a bit lazy to go thru the ant build scripts and VC++ codings that does the launching stuff.  ;) Can someone give me a simple way to invoke the IDE using the java command. Which is the jar file and what is the main class & what are the properties that are to be sent to it in the command line?? (I guess that the Windows Laucher is doing some not-so-big tasks & that I can just lauch it from the command line. Just write to me if I need to dig deeper.  :rolleyes: )

Thank you.

Hello,

You can use the following script to launch NetBeans5.0 from the command line

SET JDK_DIR=C:\jdk1.5.0_06

SET NETBEANS_HOME=C:\netbeans-5.0

%JDK_DIR%\jre\bin\java.exe "-Dnetbeans.importclass=org.netbeans.upgrade.AutoUpgrade" "-Dnetbeans.accept_license_class=org.netbeans.license.AcceptLicense" "-Xms32m" "-Xmx128m" "-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true" "-Dnetbeans.osenv=%TMP%\nbenv2" "-Dnetbeans.osenv.nullsep=true" "-Djdk.home=%JDK_DIR%" "-Dnetbeans.home=%NETBEANS_HOME%\PLATFORM6" "-Dnetbeans.dirs=%NETBEANS_HOME%\nb5.0;%NETBEANS_HOME%\ide6;%NETBEANS_HOME%\enterprise2;%NETBEANS_HOME%\harness" "-Dnetbeans.user=%USERPROFILE%\.netbeans\5.0" "-Dnetbeans.system_http_proxy=DIRECT" "-Dsun.awt.keepWorkingSetOnMinimize=true" -cp "%NETBEANS_HOME%\PLATFORM6\lib\boot.jar;%NETBEANS_HOME%\PLATFORM6\lib\org-openide-modules.jar;%NETBEANS_HOME%\PLATFORM6\lib\org-openide-util.jar;%JDK_DIR%\lib\dt.jar;%JDK_DIR%\lib\tools.jar" org.netbeans.Main

Note that NetBeans is a Java application that extensively loads classes dynamically using custom classloaders. To compile and optimize all classes including those loaded dynamically one should first collect the JITCache and compile it. For more information on this task please refer to the article?

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetxjava.html.

I tried today using netbeans 5.5, using xjava then xjava -Xcompile.

After 5 hours of compilation and 1.5 GB consumed from my hardisk for jitcache, finally it finished with no error.

I got a org.netbeans.Main.exe file and I could run it.

However the exe file is super slow, it takes more than 10 minutes just for the netbeans startup screen. The main purpose of compiling netbeans is to make it faster. What should I do?

10 minutes is too much. We observed a little bit faster start-up of the JET-compiled NetBeans on our end. B)

How long did it take when you run it via xjava first time?

What's the size of the resulting executable?

The first time I run it using xjava takes about 10 minutes for the splash screen, then I try to use all the common features (new project, open project, compile, debug, edit, gui designer, etc) and it runs slowly (I understand this).

Then I ran with -Xcompile for about 5 hours.

The resulting org.netbeans.Main.exe is 13 KB.

The first time I run it using xjava takes about 10 minutes for the splash screen

What's the time elapsed before displaying splash screen when you run the compiled version (org.netbeans.Main.exe)?

From your previous posts we conclude that

1) you observe 10 min start-up time when using xjava (which is ok because non-optimized version with logging classes is used)

2) however, the start-up time did not improve at all when you optimized the app with xjava -Xcompile and run the executable

Is that correct?

-------

What's the size of

.\jittemp\jet48089*.dll

created by the command xjava -Xcompile?