Excelsior Forums
bola

How will Sun's decision to GPL Java affect Jet?

Hi,

I've just read that Sun will GPL Java, how will this affect the license that Excelsior has with Sun about the distribution? Will this change of license make it possible in the future to make normal executables, like we can with C++? Executables that might be as small as 100kb for a console app, or at most a few mb for a simple gui app?

How does Excelsior see the future in this regard?

Thank you,

bola

To the best of my knowledge, this was not officially announced by Sun. I see little sense in commenting on something that may turn out not to be true.

Ok, now that it's official, we do not plan to open source Excelsior JET in the near- to mid-term future, which means we may not use the GPL-ed version of the JDK. Note also that Sun is not going to open-source the TCK tests, and if you may not test your implementation for compatibility, you may not call it "Java", and compatibility is important for our customers. So we shall continue using the Java SE API implementation under the Commercial Use license, nothing will change for us in that regard.

A 100KB app is hardly possible in a compatible implementation. Just run "Hello, World" on HotSpot with [tt]-verbose[/tt] and count the classes that get loaded. "A few MB" sounds more realistic, depending of course on what exactly "a few" evaluates to. :) Stay tuned.

I think you should seriously reconsider.

I would *LOVE* to use java as a replacement for Windows C++ development. But for my applications to depend on a 15 MB framework is simply inacceptable.

So as suggested a smart linker (just like Delphi's linker) that omits all methods that are not required would be fantastic.

I don't know if you have to open source JET to use the GPL'ed version of Java. I mean there are form editors for wxWidgets (which is released under the GPL) which are not open source and sold commercially.

Also, you can statically link wxWidgets applications to produce small (~ 500 KB) windows apps.

Unless it is possible to *reliably (e.g. no GCJ windows hacks) * produce native Windows executables, I don't see any future for Java on the desktop.

Smart linking won't help that much due to interdependencies between the standard API classes. As I said, run [tt]java -verbose HelloWorld[/tt] and count the number of classes loaded. It is also unsafe to omit classes and methods not explicilty imported and referenced, as you may do in C++, because they may be loaded and referenced by name using JNI or reflection.

We have an idea on solving the latter problem, though. Again, stay tuned.