Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fat_big_black_bear

Size of installation exe

I have the following:

The final installation exe generated by JetPack II is 28M. Those 28M become 63M (disk foot print) after installation. The installed executable (a moderate Swing application) is 14M; therefore the rest of the installation foot print is due to Excelsior and Sun runtime libraries.

My questions are:

1) I have a Standard Jet installation, would the size of the intallation exe be much smaller if I purchase a Profesional version?

2) Is it possible to remove some of the dlls/exes from the rt directory (rt <JET Runtime for J2SE 1.5.0_09>) shown in JetPack? If yes, what is the right way to find out which ones could be removed?

Thanks,

The final installation exe generated by JetPack II is 28M. Those 28M become 63M (disk foot print) after installation.

Using Excelsior JET 4.8 just released

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetlatest.html

you can get the installer about 10MB (instead of 28MB) and much smaller disk footprint as well. See for details

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetdownsize.html

1) I have a Standard Jet installation, would the size of the intallation exe be much smaller if I purchase a Profesional version?

Yes, Excelsior JET Professional Edition is required to reduce download size and disk footprint of the installation package.

2) Is it possible to remove some of the dlls/exes from the rt directory (rt <JET Runtime for J2SE 1.5.0_09>) shown in JetPack? If yes, what is the right way to find out which ones could be removed?

Yes, in JET 4.8 you can exclude all optional components of the JET Runtime from redistributions. This functionality is available on the page "Runtime" of the JetPackII tool.

You can download fully functional Excelsior JET Evaluation Package at

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetdleval.html

Thanks,

Welcome.

Thanks for the reply, however, I already have a license for the Standard edition and I do have the latest 4.8 version installed. I went through the documentation before making my posting and I already tried what the documentation says.

For instance, Excelsior's web site page says go to the Jet Control panel documentation and see Step:3 "Select a compilation mode". I did that and I found myself baffled; the options seems to control the size of my own classes, not the huge set of libraries packed in the rt directory.

I would like a sincere response from the moderator. Is this promise of obtaining a 10M installer available for the Standard Edition or is it available only for the Professional Edition?

Is this promise of obtaining a 10M installer available for the Standard Edition or is it available only for the Professional Edition?

I clearly stated in my previous post that Professional Edition is required for download size reduction.

For instance, Excelsior's web site page says go to the Jet Control panel documentation and see Step:3 "Select a compilation mode". I did that and I found myself baffled; the options seems to control the size of my own classes, not the huge set of libraries packed in the rt directory.

It did not take the effect because the Global Optimizer is not available in the Standard Edition. You can download JET 4.8 Evaluation Package to test this feature on your app.

Note also that the effect of download size reduction may vary depending on the size of application's resources, such as images and media files.