Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
escobar

Apache Derby doesn't work in Windows executable

Hi!

First exception comes from a call to ResultSet-objects next-method. And the latter exception comes from a call to PreparedStatement-objects execute-method. Databasecode creates the database and connects to it without problems. It also creates the PreparedStatement-objects without problems. But first call to the ResultSet after the statement execution throws the NullPointerException.

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BaseActivation.reset(BaseActivation.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.resetActivations(GenericLanguageConnectionContext.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.doCommit(GenericLanguageConnectionContext.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.userCommit(GenericLanguageConnectionContext.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.commit(TransactionResourceImpl.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.commitIfAutoCommit(EmbedConnection.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.commitIfAutoCommit(ConnectionChild.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.resultSetClosing(EmbedStatement.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.movePosition(EmbedResultSet.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.next(EmbedResultSet.class:0)

And after that on the next query:

java.sql.SQLException: No current connection.

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(SQLExceptionFactory.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.<init>(SQLException.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.<init>(EmbedSQLException.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.noCurrentConnection(Util.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.checkExecStatus(EmbedStatement.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(EmbedPreparedStatement.class:0)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.execute(EmbedPreparedStatement.class:0)

Compiled on:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

2GB memory

Ubuntu Dapper 6.06

Windows executable compiled in VMWare virtualized Windows XP SP2.

JDK 1.5.0_11

Excelsior Jet 5.0 beta 2 and beta 1

Apache Derby 10.2

Thanks for this update.

Apache Derby 10.2.2.0 is in our testsuite and probably this issue has been already resolved.

Is it possible for you to send us an example that reproduces the problem so that we check it on our end?

Hi!

I checked everything out from version control again to make fresh and clean start. I cleaned everything manually and made a new Excelsior project and compiled for the 10th time with 5.0 beta 2 and it started to work. The amount of processed classes is lower in the cleaned version of the project than in the broken version. I don't know which classes/jars caused the problem, but there propably was some garbage in the source packages.

Thanks. Anyway we will thoroughly test Derby again before issuing Release Candidate.

May I ask why you use Excelsior JET for your Java application(s)?

Hi!

We are evaluating if we should compile our product to Windows executable. On some parts the Jet seems to be competent product and on some parts not. Jet is not really a script friendly, for example setting up for nightly build seems to be quite hard. I've tried to create a path from building to jar and compiling it to executable and packing it with JetPack. The packing seems to be problematic somehow.

And the Derby started to cause problems again with 5.0 beta2. Labour Day caused a little halt and I didn't have time to test the same configuration with 4.8.

Jet is not really a script friendly, for example setting up for nightly build seems to be quite hard.

You do not need to modify the paths written in project files. Please refer to this topic which covers automated builds

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/forum/index.php?topic=1270.0

-------------

And the Derby started to cause problems again with 5.0 beta2. Labour Day caused a little halt and I didn't have time to test the same configuration with 4.8.

A beta version may have issues and we have fixed a few ones after releasing Excelsior JET 5.0 Beta 2.

Is it possible for you to send us an example that reproduces the problem so that we check it on our end?

If you have no time for preparing a detailed report, I would recommend you to try the final version.