Excelsior Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linuxhippy

Licensing question

Hi there,

1.) I am a student and I plan to create a commercial app which is something like a browser for Swing-Components.

Since in fact the server-code (running on a vanilla sun-jvm) controls the content, is it enough if I get a license for compiling the client part or would all content-developers also need a license.

Furthermore is it possible to add .class-files (compiled by the JIT later) by 3rd parties even if they do not have a JET license?

2.) Since I am a student the ~3000$ are quite heavy. Do you plan to make discounted special offers in future too?

I plan to dual-license it under GPL and commercial, so would it be possible to eventually get a non-commercial license (for the GPL version only of course) and buy a commercial one if a customer requests a nativly compiled client.

lg Clemens

Hello,

1. If you have a license for Excelsior JET, you can distribute your compiled application royalty-free, in any number of copies, provided your end-users will run it on general purpose desktop computers and/or servers. Only applications deployed to embedded systems are subject to royalties.

Third-party plug-ins would be handled by the JIT compiler.

2. We do not plan any special offers on new license purchases in the near future. But we can negotiate a special price on special conditions. For instance, we have provided free licenses to a few non-commercial Java projects in exchange for some free marketing for Excelsior JET. See e.g. the JAlbum download page.

If you are interested, email our Sales Dept.

Thanks for your detailed and helpful answer.

Well for now the project is still in an early development stage so until working versions can be delivered some time will past anyway. The individual licensing plan seems to be a great option for me (I don't even plan to earn ~3000$ with that project), maybe its possible to get a per-sold-box royality or something like that, which would be definitivly the best for the low volumes I expect.

However I guess this is better discussed with the licensing people ;)

lg Clemens