Excelsior JET 3.0 JNI Version Fix Download
This fix makes Excelsior JET 3.0 compatible with JNI 1.1. It is required for the latest versions of IBM SWT to work. If you do not use SWT, you most probably need not install this fix.
Excelsior JET historically supported JNI 1.2-1.4 only, because it is not interoperable with Java versions prior to J2SE 1.3 anyway, and J2SE 1.3 uses JNI 1.2. However, it appeared recently that starting from Eclipse SDK 2.1 the SWT library uses JNI version 1.1, whereas previous versions used JNI 1.2. We suppose this was done for compatibility with IBM JRE 1.1.8. Fortunately, JNI 1.2 is backward compatible with JNI 1.1, so for supporting that old version we just had to make the version check routine less restrictive.
As of writing (25-Jan-2003), we are not aware of any other Java application, component or class library that is affected, so if you do not use SWT, you most probably do not need this fix.
- You should have Excelsior JET 3.0 installed before applying this fix.
Download and Installation Instructions
- If you are a registered customer of Excelsior JET 3.0 Standard or Professional Edition, request the user/password combination from our Support Dept. at email@example.com.
- Depending on the Edition of Excelsior JET you are using, download:
Professional Edition jet-300-pro-jnivf.zip Standard Edition jet-300-std-jnivf.zip
1 This package was refreshed on 24-Jan-2003, so if you downloaded it after that date, you do not need to apply the JNI version fix.
- Unzip the downloaded file into the BIN subdirectory of your JET installation, e.g. C:\JET\BIN.
- Run JET Setup by selecting the respective item from the Excelsior JET Start Menu.
- Select the active (A) JRE and click Clean-up. Repeat for all precompiled JREs (P).
- Precompile platform classes for the desired JRE(s) as usual.
- There is no need to recompile your applications.